I have written extensively about key account management strategy. As anyone can appreciate, it is a highly complex and time-consuming initiative for an enterprise of any size, so when a reader asked me how to get started, this was my short response highlighting five simple steps that one can take:
- Organize a meeting with people in your company that often meet with the customers the most, for example, sales, marketing, and support.
- Develop a summary of what they think their key customers need the most.
- Now take this information to the key accounts and refine the list (add or delete based on what they want).
- Develop an organization chart that will include a few people that will interact regularly and then have a supervisor to manage these individuals.
- Go back to the key accounts 6 months later to see if it is helping them. If not, make improvements.